Director of Media Relations
Company: Akerman LLP
Posted on: January 28, 2023
Akerman LLP, a top 100 U.S. law firm serving clients across the
Americas, is seeking a Director of Media Relations. The location
for the position is flexible. Under the leadership and general
direction of the Chief Marketing and Client Development Officer,
the Director of Media Relations will oversee the development and
implementation of the firm's external and internal communications
initiatives. The Director will work closely with the CMCDO, peers
in the Marketing and Client Development Department (MCD
Department), and across the firm's other operational departments to
implement all initiatives.
- Manage the positioning and messaging of the firm internally and
externally by collaborating closely with firm leadership, the
CMCDO, members of the BD Department and partners of the firm.
- Develop and execute strategies to raise the visibility and
reputation of the firm and its lawyers globally in strategic
- Serve as a media/message advisor to all relevant stakeholders
within the firm.
- Develop and maintain relationships with reporters and other
media contacts to enhance the firm's visibility.
- Meet at regular intervals with designated practice group and
office heads to develop, refine, and execute media strategy for
those individual units. Priorities for these programs will be set
by the CMCDO.
- Identify, train, and prepare lawyers in their interactions with
- Periodically interview attorneys, develop content ideas
pertaining to their expertise, and writes articles, under the
attorneys' names, for publication in business, trade, and legal
- Serve as a presentation coach for lawyers and operations
- Supervise media relations team; work with them as mentor and
coach to develop and refine their abilities and maximize the
effectiveness of the media relations team by delegating and
managing their work appropriately.
- Supervise and regularly confer with the firm's outside public
relations agency; meet with them to develop and refine messaging,
and maximize the effectiveness of the agency by delegating and
managing their work appropriately.
- In collaboration with the Marketing function, develop online
and social media strategies, particularly supporting media
relations campaigns in strategic areas.
- Help to maximize the effectiveness of all firm online and
in-person educational and marketing events, by supervising
publicity before the event, media involvement (when possible) at
the events, and campaigning for after-the-fact news coverage in all
- Supervise all digital marketing initiatives, including social
media strategy, video, podcasts, audio, and other tools to be used
in service of business development and marketing areas.
- Consistently refine communications strategies to comply with
best practices and to obtain the greatest return on investment for
- Collaborate with members of the Marketing and Client
Development Department to develop content and implement
communications through various channels (e.g., digital and social
media, website, placed and purchased media and public
- Conduct market analysis to identify appropriate brand awareness
outlets based on firm strategy.
- Be responsible for the day-to-day operations of the media
relations team and serve as a significant contributor in all areas
of communications, including other assignments provided by the
- Work in collaboration with the Content Team to manage internal
communications across the firm.
- Set clear benchmarks in all areas to monitor progress and
measure success in media relations. Qualifications :
- Four year college degree required, preferably in marketing,
communications, or journalism.
- A minimum of ten years' experience in public relations with a
strong emphasis on writing and editing.
- Law firm or professional services firm experience
- Knowledge of PR/Media tools.
- Ability to exhibit good judgment when interacting with
attorneys and outside public relations agencies.
- Ability to work comfortably with attorneys at all levels.
- Ability to make sound decisions and demonstrate a high degree
of trustworthiness in handling confidential and sensitive
- Ability to exhibit sound judgment interacting with attorneys
and media/publishing companies.
- Ability to work under the pressure of deadlines with strong
problem solving skills.
- Flexibility in working well within a team environment.
- Ability to demonstrate strategic focus.
- Ability to define goals and follow through to achieve
- Ability to prioritize and manage time effectively.
- Possess reliability, dependability and motivation.
- Excellent organization and highly effective communications
skills, both oral and written.
- Exceptional client service both internal and external.We offer
an excellent compensation and benefits package. Please submit your
resume and salary requirements. EOE
Keywords: Akerman LLP, Miami , Director of Media Relations, Advertising , Miami, Florida
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!