Data Center Engineer II
Company: Digital Realty
Posted on: October 19, 2020
Data Center Engineer II
AddThis Sharing ButtonsShare to FacebookFacebookShare to
TwitterTwitterShare to PrintPrintShare to EmailEmailShare to
The Engineer-II position is a contributing member to the site level
Data Center Operations team assigned to one or more of our data
center properties reporting directly to the Manager of Facility
Engineering. The Engineer-II will have experience in mission
critical infrastructure, including Generators, UPS Systems, HVAC
Systems, Fire/Life Safety Systems, BMS Systems, and CMMS systems.
It is expected that the Engineer-II candidate has expertise in
either electrical work or mechanical work and it would be expected
that he/she would be competent in the area of non expertise. The
responsibilities of the Engineer-II are: to contribute to the daily
site operation, including creation and modification of site
operating procedures, contribute to creation of change management
tickets, creation of timely incident reporting, site maintenance
and repairs/inspections to help ensure Digital Realty's data center
operations achieve the highest level of availability.
- At least 3 years' experience in mission critical facilities
operating / engineering or equivalent equipment experience
including assets associated with mission critical engineering
relevant to the specific site. (UPS, HVAC, generators, fire/life
- Hands-on electrical or mechanical skill and competence in the
area of non-expertise (for example, electrical expertise with
mechanical competence, or vice-versa).
- Strong knowledge of various UPS Systems and
- Strong knowledge of various cooling systems and
- Strong understanding of infrastructure redundancy
configurations and equipment and their risks (N+1, 2N, ATS/ STS,
- Strong knowledge of energy efficiency principals.
- Strong interpersonal, presentation and communication skills.
Ability to respond effectively, verbally in writing to sensitive
issues, complex inquiries or complaints.
- Detail Oriented with strong organizational skills
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel and Outlook and
familiarity with Microsoft Project, Adobe Acrobat, Visio or
- Basic understanding of emergency situations and escalation
- Strong understanding of Computerized Maintenance Management
Systems (CMMS), Data Center Infrastructure Management (DCIM), and
power metering systems
Desired (but not required) Job Skills/Knowledge
- Strong quantitative and qualitative reasoning skills, with
demonstrated ability to determine event root causes, performance
shortfalls and required corrective actions.
Meets physical demands of the position including:
- Lift and handle up to 50 pounds
- Bend, stoop, and stretch as required for placement and
retrieval of network devices, materials, or equipment
- Work under a raised data center floor
- Climb ladders (up to 16 feet) to reach plenum spaces
Keys to Success
- Assist in achieving Five 9's of Availability for all data
- No human error and/or customer impacting events
- Assist in achieving 100% compliance with all customer
- 100% compliance to all standard operating procedures
- Internal & external customer communication and relationships
maintained to highest standard
- Achieve 100% compliance with internal escalation protocols for
all customer impacting events pursuant to Digital Realty's
- 100% compliance with all health & safety standards
- Contributing to creation/execution/closure/storage of change
management tickets, MOPs, and Incident reporting
- Gain a complete understanding of the following DLR and site
- Facility layout and operation of MEP systems and the ability to
illustrate site specific system one-lines with good
- Equipment nomenclature standards and equipment
- Facility drawings and equipment specifications
- Equipment sequence of operations (SOO's), standard operating
procedures (SOP's), and emergency operating procedures
- Customer SLA's and engineering specific lease obligations
critical to data center operations.
- Facility top 20 EOP's.
- BMS alarm functionality, alarm escalation/acknowledgement, and
ability to extract data and trends
- DLR event management, event escalation, and incident reporting
- Computerized Maintenance Management System (CMMS), including
the ability to create, edit, implement, and close change management
- Create/edit/resolve/close incident reports following a site
- Maintenance and Operations Standards
- Digital Realty's Environmental and Occupational Health and
- Gain a complete understanding of all aspects of data center
operations including the operation, maintenance and repair of all
mission critical equipment and systems supporting a 24x7 data
center operation to achieve 100% uptime and 100% compliance with
all customer SLAs.
- Supervision of construction activity and installations as
- Ability to be the executor in the site specific change
management processes including the creation of Method of Procedures
(MOPs) for low risk preventative maintenance and repairs as well as
the oversight of those maintenances as they are carried out.
- Ability to effectively troubleshoot site mechanical and
- Ability to respond to unplanned events without immediate
- Ability to efficiently complete rounds/inspections and to
detect anomalies during those rounds.
- Develop or improve SOPs for site specific equipment.
- Gain a good understanding and knowledge of the local customers
business and datacenter operation.
- Support various accreditation initiatives, including, but not
limited to, SSAE16, SOC2, ISO 27001, etc. as may be required by
- Complete DLR Critical Awareness Training
Digital Realty: Where the cloud lives and business thrives
We built the global standard for technical real estate, developing
a unique capability to acquire, manage, and scale data
center campuses. Now, Digital Realty is building a unique ecosystem
of open solutions that power customer growth
through exceptional service on a foundation of unrivaled data
center expertise. The new Digital Realty combines
unparalleled data center services, carrier-dense interconnection,
real estate acumen, and financial strength to create
unique power of choice and value when and where our customers need
To provide our customers with the trusted foundation for the
To build a network of connected campuses and internet gateways that
become the heart of the internet and cloud,
powering growth and prosperity for customers, employees and
Guide our decisions and actions every day-above all else, we value
customers, excellence, talent, teamwork and
About Digital Realty
Digital Realty Trust, Inc. supports the data center and colocation
strategies of more than 2,000 firms across its secure,
network-rich portfolio of data centers located throughout North
America, Europe, Asia and Australia. Digital Realty's
clients include companies of all sizes, ranging from financial
services, cloud and information technology services, to
manufacturing, energy, gaming, life sciences and consumer
Digital Realty is a publicly traded company (NYSE: DLR) with
investment grade ratings from all three major ratings
Digital Realty offers a highly competitive compensation package,
excellent benefits, and an environment that recognizes
and rewards your contributions.
Digital Realty is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified
applicants will receive consideration for employment and will
not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion,
sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin,
disability or protected veteran status.
Please do not forward unsolicited resumes to any employee of
Digital Realty and its subsidiaries. Digital Realty is not
responsible for any fees related to unsolicited referrals.
Keywords: Digital Realty, Miami , Data Center Engineer II, Engineering , Miami, Florida
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!