Practical Nurse (GEC) Long Term Care - Miami, Florida - Long Term Care
Company: Bruce W. Carter VA Medical Center
Posted on: May 16, 2022
Practical Nurse (GEC) Long Term Care - Miami, Florida
The Licensed Practical Nurse engages in nursing care, which
requires the knowledge and skills represented by licensure as an
LPN. The LPN maintains acceptable standards of practice under the
direction of a Registered Nurse. Assignments are limited to
situations demanding an exceptional degree of practical nursing
knowledge and skills.
Other duties include but are not limited to:
- Provides nursing care to patients in meeting personal hygiene
needs such as bathing, lifting, turning and feeding; administers
tube feeding via feeding pump and changes administration
- Take vitals.
- Administer medication.
- Assists selected patients with rehabilitation such as range of
motion, ambulation, positioning, and self-help activities of daily
living; and bowel and bladder training programs.
- Enters information about the patient's condition, an assessment
of the patient's condition and a plan of action to carry out
- Measures and records vital signs, neuro checks, intake and
output, weights; collects urine, stool, sputum and drainage
specimens; measures and records PH from nasogastric tubes; measures
and records urine specific gravity.
- Performs procedures such as application of external urinary
catheters; routine Foley catheter care; irrigation of Foley
- Carries out respiratory treatments such as postural drainage,
chest physiotherapy; sets up and initiates oxygen therapy,
including nebulization treatments; performs oropharyngeal,
nasopharyngeal and tracheal suctioning, performs routine
tracheostomy care, instructs patient in use of incentive
spirometer; monitors and records observations of chest tubes and
pleurovacs; assembles water-sealed chest drainage systems.
- Prepares and administers prescribed medications, including PRN
medication orders, after carefully assessing the patient's
condition; observe effectiveness and document observations in the
clinical record. Administer vaccines, reads and records
- Assist with monitoring the patient's condition before, during
and following the procedure.
- Applies knowledge and skill in performing support duties for
complex diagnostic tests and/or specialized practices of
procedures. Which include preparing the patient, assisting in the
diagnostic examine, preparing and handing specialized
- Observes for physical and/or emotional changes in patients'
condition from prescribed medications/treatments, while promptly
and accurately documenting noted changes, and reporting deviation
from normal to RN or Provider.
- Monitors and regulates the flow of intravenous fluids manually
or via infusion pumps and reports observations to the registered
nurse; observes IV site for infiltration and inflammation and
reports to the Registered Nurse; changes peripheral IV and saline
lock dressings; changes IV solution administration sets following
established protocols; discontinues peripheral intravenous
catheters when authorized by the Registered Nurse; monitors and
adds maintenance IV fluids (as approved) via mini-bags, prepared by
pharmacy, through an existing peripheral line/saline lock.
- Responds appropriately to emergency situations such as
cardiopulmonary arrest; provides for environmental safety, security
and patient privacy, checks the code cart except for the weekly
defibrillator check (done by the RN).
- Assists physicians and nurses with patients undergoing
diagnostic and therapeutic procedures; accompanies patients off
units for appointments as necessary.
- Observes patient's changing conditions and provides specialized
care to patients who may be helpless, comatose, and/or critically
ill, including the patient on a ventilator; uses judgment in
adapting and varying procedures and/or approaches based on
patient's current condition, and in accordance with appropriate
nursing care and prescribed medical treatment, may direct
non-professional nursing personnel of lower grade level.
- Participates in patient care planning conferences contributing
to the identification of patient problems/needs; updates care plans
and reflecting current patient status in collaboration with the
Registered Nurse; provides report on assigned patients;
participates and documents in providing patient/family
- Documents all patient observations and procedures performed on
EDRP Authorized: *See "Additional Information" section below for
Permanent Change of Station (PCS):
nancial Disclosure Report:
Keywords: Bruce W. Carter VA Medical Center, Miami , Practical Nurse (GEC) Long Term Care - Miami, Florida - Long Term Care, Healthcare , Miami, Florida
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!