Registered Nurse - RN - Vascular Access (Full Time, Night Shift) - ICU - Intensive Care Unit
Company: Nicklaus Children's Hospital
Posted on: August 6, 2022
Registered Nurse - RN - Vascular Access (Full Time, Night
Provides evidence-based vascular access care for pediatric patients
that include Intravenous (IV) Access, Peripherally Inserted Central
Catheter (PICC) line placement & insertion, and dressing changes.
Supports nursing units, collaborates with RNs and medical staff,
and educates patients and families on the procedure in a
compassionate patient and family centered care environment.
Supports and upholds quality standards of a Magnet designated
hospital and Patient Bill of Rights. Practices under the
supervision of the Nursing Manager/Director.
Job Specific Duties
* Provides Vascular Access nursing care including Peripheral
Intravenous (IV), Peripherally Inserted Central Catheter (PICC)
line insertion, placement, monitoring and dressing changes.
* Communicates with the physician or disciplines involved regarding
patient's progress, critical findings, changes in the patients'
condition, and IV therapy complications and procedure.
* Educates patients and families on Vascular Access procedure,
documents the teaching in the Electronic Health Record, and
notifies RN and/or physician of any patient/family concerns.
* Assesses all body systems, absence of blood borne infections,
surgical site infections, and observes skin integrity for
prevention of skin breakdown.
* Follows physician's orders and administers medications. Adheres
to the six rights of Medication Administration.
* Plans, implements and documents the plan of care in collaboration
with other disciplines and services to assure safe and efficient
* Delegates nursing care based on knowledge of staff qualifications
* Performs reassessments as per policy, when there is a change in
the plan of care or an intervention is performed.
* Assembles medical equipment and supplies for procedure and
* Accesses electronic health record independently according to
hospital policy and completes accurate and timely documentation in
the patient's electronic health record.
* Promotes an "error free" working environment by consistently
providing high-quality, safe care as per hospital policies.
Conducts prevention rounding and follows up on identified concerns
* Assesses all body systems, ensures safe, effective, efficient
care delivery with emphasis on the absence of medication errors,
avoidance of falls,ouch-free procedural pain and reduction of
* Completes the hand off process at shift change, provides patient
information, communicates pending IV's, PICC line insertions, and
Minimum Job Requirements
* RN - Registered Nurse RN Licensure within the State of Florida or
Multi-State Enhanced Nursing License Compact (eNLC) - maintain
active and in good standing throughout employment
* CPR BLS -American Heart Association BLS must maintain active and
in good standing throughout employment
* Proficient in IV insertion and placement
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
* BSN Degree or currently enrolled in a BSN program
* American Heart Association PALS preferred
* 1-3 years of nursing experience preferred
* Career Development: National Certification preferably within 5
years of hire
* Pediatric Nursing and/or experience working in an Emergency
and/or ICU nursing department preferred
* Experience with PICC Line placement preferred
* Strong problem solving, critical thinking, and conflict
* Ability to manage multiple priorities and strong time management
* Effective verbal and written communication skills
* Computer literate
* Works effectively in a collaborative environment
* Ability to apply principles of evidenced-based practice,
analytical thinking, and service excellence in practice
* Able to analyze and interpret data and utilize the information to
make judgments regarding patient care
* Able to float to various nursing units while maintaining the
delivery of clinical excellence and high quality service
* On-call assignment per department and hospital policy
Keywords: Nicklaus Children's Hospital, Miami , Registered Nurse - RN - Vascular Access (Full Time, Night Shift) - ICU - Intensive Care Unit, Healthcare , Miami, Florida
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!