Registered Nurse, School Health - Pahokee - West Palm Beach, FL - School RN
Company: Lakeside Medical Center
Location: West Palm Beach
Posted on: November 25, 2022
Registered Nurse, School Health - Pahokee - West Palm Beach,
This position provides skilled professional nursing care and
treatment for students in an assigned school.---- This position
implements the medical components of an integrated school health
program, reporting and functioning under the auspices of the Health
Care District School Health Nursing Supervisor for all clinical and
employee issues. The School Health Registered Nurse will be under
the general supervision of the school-based Principal for
non-clinical matters.-- The role of the School Health Registered
Nurse is to advance the well being, academic success and life-long
achievement of the students. The School Health Registered Nurse
will individualize care to students providing nursing diagnosis and
interventions for students in cooperation with the parent(s) or
guardian. Employees in this class perform duties in accordance with
established regulations, policies, nursing standards, and medical
- Provides a student-centered approach to care for all students
from Pre-Kindergarten to Grade 12 in the school setting.
- Provides first aid and injury care to students with urgent
- Plans and provides preventative care and well student services
for student population.
- Provides nursing assessments to students, and counseling,
including referrals to students and parents.
- Manages all students with chronic health problems, providing
school-based services related to student -specific health care
- Liaises with students, parents and school based staff to
develop student-specific case management plans for students with
chronic health problems.
- Initiates, develops and maintains student health records
utilizing the District Welligent--- Electronic School Health
Medical Record System.
- Provides information concerning programs available for children
with chronic health problems or disabling, and/or terminal
- Liaises with hospital-based staff for students receiving long
term hospitalization with a view to transitioning to hospital home
bound care, prior to re-entry into school.
- Administers medications to students prescribed by a medical
doctor or authorized designee (ARNP) with parental consent in
accordance with established care plans.
- May provide Immunizations as directed by the Health Care
District Chief Health Operations Officer; this would be an
emergency-based, school-specific immunization outreach.
- Identifies high-risk students and liaises with school
administrator and staff in the coordination of school- based
- Works closely with the School District Data Processors
providing guidance and technical assistance in the identification
of students that are non-compliant with established immunization
and health assessment requirements.
- Counsels parents on child-specific health needs referring to
health care provider or community agencies as needed.
- Works closely with other registered nurses and nursing
supervisor to provide follow-up and nursing case management related
to vision, hearing and scoliosis screening outcomes.
- Reviews and updates student electronic health files, forwarding
to appropriate destination when student transfers to another school
within the District. Is able to navigate electronic medical records
being proficient with a standard computer and keyboard including
but not limited to software programs.
- Serves as resource person to students, parents, guardians or
foster parents and school personnel.
- Develops and conducts group education sessions in cooperation
with school staff and established HCD guidelines. Addresses a
variety of preventive health topics such as oral health, healthy
nutrition and exercise.
- May be required to supplement the services allocated to a Float
Nurse, which may require the nurse to float to another school
location on occasions to enhance nursing support and bridge a gap
in student health services.
- Supports school staff and provides education and training to
school staff on the detection of head lice or other infestations.
Liaises with parents and provides intensive follow-up for students
failing scoliosis, vision and hearing and/or height and weight/BMI
- Monitors the school environment including the school campus for
health and safety issues advising school administrators of
potential risks to students in a timely manner.
- Actively participates on School-Based Team contributing
essential nursing/medical information relative to student progress
- Emergency duty may be required of the incumbent that includes
assisting community or hospital based organizations or the Red
Cross. Staff will be directed to perform other emergency duties
based on clinical experience including, but not limited to,
responses to threats or disasters, man-made or natural.
- Associate's degree or diploma in nursing from an accredited
nursing institution required. Bachelor's degree in nursing
- A minimum of one (1) year of nursing experience is required.
One (1) year of experience in pediatric nursing, emergency room,
community health, acute care and/or school health nursing is
- Basic Life Support (BLS) certification from the American Heart
Association required. National Certified School Nurse (NCSN)
- Active Florida Driver License required for Float RN
- Current State of Florida Registered Nurse license
- Emergency Treatment & Triage Training provided upon orientation
with biennial updates.------ Health Care District of Palm Beach
County is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer and Drug Free
Workplace. We embrace diversity and do not discriminate based
on--race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including
pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual
orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a
protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or
other applicable legally protected characteristics----
We can recommend jobs specifically for you!
Click here to get started.
Keywords: Lakeside Medical Center, Miami , Registered Nurse, School Health - Pahokee - West Palm Beach, FL - School RN, Healthcare , West Palm Beach, Florida
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!