Registered Nurse, Circulator
Company: Health Care District of Palm Beach County
Location: Belle Glade
Posted on: May 28, 2023
Overview:This position prescribes, delegates, and coordinates
safe and effective perioperative care to patients undergoing
surgical procedures through the nursing process of assessment,
planning, intervention, implementation, and evaluation. Employee
interacts with patient, significant others and health care team
members, while maintaining standards of professional nursing.
- Delivers nursing care for identified patient population and
scope of service directly, ensuring that all care givers within
area of responsibility do the same. Demonstrates personal patient
care to provide comfort and well-being to the patient,
acknowledging their physiological and psychological needs.
- Delivers patient care within defined hospital and patient care
standards for assessment, care planning, interventions and
reassessment, and delegates care appropriately to other team
members and support staff.
- Performs pre-operative, Phase I, II, and III recovery and
circulating duties following the Surgical Services Departments
policies and procedures, as well as ASPAN and AORN standards of
- Interviews patients in preparation for surgery.
- Ensures patients are prepped for surgical procedure and
performs positioning practices to the anesthetized patient.
- Confirms the availability of the Surgeon prior to the induction
of patient by anesthesia.
- Administers medication, IV, blood, and blood products according
to regulations and policy.
- Confirms verbally with the Surgeon the procedure and site for
the operation to be performed.
- Communicates immediately with the OR Nursing Manager regarding
any changes in surgical procedure or patient conditions and
potential harm to patient or delays in the surgical procedure.
- Performs out-patient procedures and stress tests.
- Assesses and charts patients vital signs and notifies physician
of abnormal ranges as well as any significant changes.
- Serves as back up for radiology as needed.
- Evaluates clinical/diagnostic reports and reports variances to
the physician and documents same.
- Administers treatments as ordered and appropriate.
- Evaluates patients care status frequently. Reports variances in
care and/or medication administration for quality improvement.
- Uses the nursing process to assess, plan, implement, and
evaluate patient care.
- Ensures appropriate handling and labeling of all specimens,
cultures and blood draws according to the departments policies and
- Functions as a clinical preceptor as required.
- Ensures that care is delivered by those who are competent and
trained to do so according to the patient population, level of
technology required, complexity of care needs and age of the
- Performs duties with a clear understanding of the JCAHO Safety
Goals and delivers care with patient safety as a goal. Follows
hospital policies guiding compliance with National Patient Safety
- Performs duties in accordance with pathogen transmission
practices; i.e., follows hand washing procedures and utilizes
protective equipment effectively.
- Delivers patient care in accordance with established infection
control standards for patient placement, IV therapy, medication
administration and the performance of all patient procedures.
- Observes patient confidentially and ensures the staff does as
- Follows guidelines for administration of high risk drugs,
patient identification, documentation and taking telephone orders
with read back and communication of critical values/diagnostic
- Is responsible for the appropriate administration of
medications as outlined in the Florida Nurse Practice Act,
specifically ensuring the identification of the right patient,
right route, right medication and right site. Evaluating the
patients response to the medication and ensuring complete and
timely documentation of activities. Documents the administration of
medicines including dosage, medicine route, medicine site and
patients response as required in the documentation system
- Participates in continuing education and in-services to ensure
competencies and skills are current for the position.
- Co Responsible for the appropriate delegation and supervision
of nursing care according to the Florida Nurse Practice Act and
- Responsible for the establishment and implementation of a
nursing plan for the care and comfort of individuals, the
prevention of illness and the education, restoration, and
maintenance of health.
- Utilizes SBAR communication during patient handoff and when
communicating with team members.
- Delivers patient care in accordance with established infection
- Ensures that unit equipment is maintained and stored
appropriately. Utilizes patient care equipment appropriately and
safely, following hospital policy and procedure, as well as
appropriate competencies. Reports any identified equipment
breakdown or malfunction by hospital policy.
- Coordinates clinical and patient care support activities within
the scope of authority.
- Participates in performance improvement activities. Follows
guidelines for performance improvement and demonstrates
understanding of participation in the Core Measures for Lakeside
Medical Center, and for documentation review and restraint review
- Communicates effectively with other patient care providers and
team members for efficiencies and safety of care through
appropriate ordering procedures, preparing patients for surgery and
other procedures, communicating fall potential and other risk
- Provides a complete, concise report to oncoming nurse when
being relieved during a procedure or at the end of a shift.
- Completes and adjusts patient assignments so that care is
delivered in a timely, cost-effective and clinically efficacious
- Ensures that unit equipment is maintained to promote optimum
operations and a pleasant physical environment. Utilizes patient
care equipment and patient restraints appropriately and safely,
following hospital policy and procedure. Reports any identified
equipment breakdown or malfunction by hospital policy.
- Anticipates needs, problems, and crises before they occur and
develops a reasonable action plan to make course corrections that
reduce the likelihood of problems going unattended.
- Delegates and supervises patient care appropriately to
LPN-Surgical Technicians and Surgical Technicians with follow up
and feedback procedures to ensure quality of care. Initiates
appropriate actions as needed.
- Documents and maintains patient care records, including patient
assessment, care plan, intervention and evaluation of care; and,
related required documentation according to policy and regulatory
guidelines. Maintains records and communications with respect to
- Explains all procedures and care plans to patients, and as
appropriate to family. Ensures patient and/or family are educated
according to the needs identified and appropriate health
- Collaborates with all members of the health care team to ensure
patient care is safe, following protocols as applicable.
- Identifies and develops opportunities for performance
improvement in patient care processes.
- Obtains and transcribes physicians orders in a timely and
accurate manner ensuring all tests are ordered appropriately and
- Ensures procedures and supplies are charged appropriately.
- Communicates effectively with manager, supervisor, and others
regarding the changing status of the unit.
- Utilizes good communication skills, critical thinking and
checkpoints for teamwork. Provides patient information timely and
effectively during shift report and with patients hand-offs.
- Resolves problems on the unit in a timely and appropriate
- Performs duties consistently to meet the hospitals published
customer service quality standards.
- Adjusts interpersonal approach to others in order to achieve
the best results that produce the desired outcomes.
- Demonstrates the ability to motivate the team and produce
quality patient care outcomes.
- Complies with staffing and call rotations.
- Includes the patient and the family in the plan of care as
appropriate. Develops patient focused goals with the patient and
family as appropriate,
- Provides teaching and training to staff members as needed.
- Participates in the orientation and mentoring of new staff
members recognizing importance of bringing new staff into a
friendly and supportive work environment.
- Utilizes and ensures staff uses supplies efficiently, following
infection control procedures, avoiding waste and follows patient
- Follows ACLS protocol for patients as indicated.
- Serves as an example for team members in cost saving
- Participates in the hospital Utilization Management Program by
assisting with discharge planning, reporting to case managers, and
keeping patient, family, physician, and other personnel
- Demonstrates understanding and commitment to hospitals mission,
philosophy, standards, policies and procedures. Recognizes all
staff, physicians and visitors, as well as, patients as customers
and provides courteous and respectful service.
- Documents and reports any complaints from patients, physicians
and visitors to supervisor as guided by hospital policies and
- Participates in the cleanliness of the work environment.
- Demonstrates an understanding of responsibility of emergency
plans and is available for patient care as needed or scheduled when
hospital emergency preparedness plans are activated.
- Serves as a leader for change, positively promoting new systems
and changes implemented which improves the hospital and the service
provided to its patients.
- Participates in hospital community activities and helps portray
a positive image of the hospital in the community.
- Observes cardiac rhythm and initiates or ACLS protocol as
- Completes assessments and documentation of new admissions and
discharges including the interim plan of care. Completes discharge
instructions with information regarding food and drug
- Performs specialized patient assessments as needed.
- Defibrillates patients safely in accordance with regulations,
policy and accepted procedure.
- Performs monitor/defibrillator checks each shift.
- Conducts inventory checks, including all medications
administered at the time of administration. Reconciles the count
with oncoming nurse at the end of the shift.
- Ensures availability of age appropriate supplies and
- Checks code cart and emergency box each shift.
- Assesses lung sound in patients.
- Starts IVs and delivers IV medications to patients as needed.
Runs and calculates IV drips.
- Performs NG tube insertion and performs gastric suction per
hospital policy and procedures.
- Evaluates pulmonary status by auscultation.
- Performs port flushes, injections and blood transfusions as
- Helps with code assistance.
- Performs respiratory care assessments and specimen collection
using the appropriate techniques.
- Completes pre-operation check-list and time out checklist.
- Witnesses consents for surgery, anesthesia and special
procedures as per hospital policy.
- Transports patients to appropriate care locations.
- Accepts additional nursing care assignments and performs duties
under the direction of the Surgeon and/or Anesthesiologist.
- Demonstrates the necessary skills and knowledge to provide care
for patients according to OR unit competencies.
- Demonstrates the ability to handle emergency situations in a
prompt and professional manner.
- Dresses patient wounds as needed.
- Completes control tests on Accu Check machine daily.
- Floats to other units as required.
- Emergency duty may be required of the incumbent that includes
working in special needs or Red Cross shelters or to perform other
emergency duties including, but not limited to, responses to
threats or actual disasters, man-made or natural.Additional Duties:
- May be required to act in a Charge Nurse capacity during which,
the additional duties would be required:
- Supervises RNs, LPNs and Surgical Technicians and the provision
of care to patients in accordance with policies, procedures and
- Assists the OR Nurse Manager in the overall operation of the
- Associates, Bachelors, or Diploma in Nursing from an accredited
nursing school required.Experience:
- Two (2) to four (4) years experience preferred.Certification:
- Current BLS is required and ACLS, and PALS. NRP or STABLE
certification required. ACLS and PALS are required within three (3)
months of hire. NRP or STABLE certification is required within one
(1) year of hire. Advanced certification such as CNOR, CPAN, CAPA
- State of Florida Registered Nurse license required.Health Care
District of Palm Beach County is proud to be an Equal Opportunity
Employer and Drug Free Workplace. We embrace diversity and do not
discriminate based on race, religion, color, national origin,
gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical
conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender
expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an
individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected
Keywords: Health Care District of Palm Beach County, Miami , Registered Nurse, Circulator, Healthcare , Belle Glade, Florida
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!
Loading more jobs...