Company: The E.W. Scripps Company
Posted on: February 16, 2020
We're looking for a candidate to fill this position in an
- Work with the News Director to develop a strategic weather
plan, covering all of South Florida.
- Responsible for analyzing meteorological data gathered by
satellites and radar to prepare reports and forecasts for the
- Interpret and analyze weather data to prepare accurate,
compelling forecasts for morning news viewers.
- Prepare and deliver daily weather content utilizing all
available weather data and graphics computers.
- Assist management in evaluations of potential new weather data
gathering and presentation computers.
- Gather and verify factual information regarding stories through
interview, observation, and research.
- Prepare and deliver all weather content over multiple
- Report, write, capture visual content, edit, produce and post
stories/content for multiple platforms.
- Use station website, social media accounts, and apps to engage
different audiences with original weather content.
- Prepare and deliver urgent weather updates interrupting regular
programming as necessary.
- Cover severe and breaking weather situations across all
platforms. Be ready to report in the field during or after severe
- Work to produce weather specials and other programming with
- Report live from event sites.
- Perform various community service activities for station as
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Bachelors degree in Meteorology.
- Minimum 5 years experience as a broadcast meteorologist, 10+
- AMS and/or NWA Certified meteorologist preferred.
- Strong understanding of the science and forecasting of
hurricanes and how South Floridians depend on accurate delivery of
storm information each season.--
- Knowledge and demonstration of editorial judgment, journalistic
ethics and libel laws.
- Able to lead the weather team for consecutive days during
tropical storms & hurricanes.
- Thorough knowledge of weather data interpretation and
- Ability to deliver weather information in a concise and
- Ability to create computer generated graphics.
- Computer literate, including newsroom computer systems.
- Proficient at posting content to various platforms.
- Strong organizational, time management and problem solving
- Self-motivated and able to work in a fast-paced deadline-driven
- Valid driver's license and good driving record required. In
addition, proof of insurance and liability coverage may be
- In the event of a local hurricane, stay at the station with the
rest of the staff to help support the news organization.
Keywords: The E.W. Scripps Company, Miami , Chief Meteorologist, Other , Miami, Florida
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!