Do you enjoy software development and working directly with
customers? Do you enjoy solving complex problems in novel ways
across a myriad of platforms? Are you excited about working across
a broad spectrum of domains including Cloud Native, DevOps, IoT,
Machine Learning, and High Scale Compute?
If so, our Commercial Software Engineering (CSE) team could be a
great fit for you. We are a global engineering organization that
works directly with customers looking to leverage the latest
technologies to address their toughest challenges and transform
their industries using cloud-based solutions. We work closely with
Microsoft product teams, partners, and open-source communities to
empower our customers to do more with the cloud.
We are hiring a Senior Software Engineer for our east-coast
based remote team with deep experience and expertise designing and
delivering solutions using modern software engineering practices
and cloud technologies. You will be working side-by-side with
high-impact customers and their engineers to build innovative
solutions. You will solve exciting business problems and
collaborating with the Microsoft product teams to improve our
products, ultimately to make it easier for developers to use
Microsoft platforms. We source our ideas and designs by maintaining
very deep connections with these open-source communities and the
customers and partners that use them. As a member of our team, you
will thrive in working with a variety of technologies, not just
Be respectful and inclusive - As a group, we work to build
consensus with our teammates and customers. We're looking for the
sort of person who enjoys a culture that ensures that all voices
and perspectives are heard and considered.
We do not believe that any specific education major is a
requirement to be successful in this role. We are open to all
backgrounds and are looking for candidates with demonstrated
ability to deliver on the responsibilities below.
- 5+ years of experience shipping or running production systems
- Current job includes coding 70% of the time
- Solid design and coding skills with a bias for architecture at
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate and work across company
boundaries and outside of company boundaries
- Knowledge of Microsoft Azure, AWS or similar cloud computing
platforms is preferred
- Strong service delivery experience including architecture and
coding, and ideally building cloud services.
- Experience working within geographically dispersed, diverse,
and virtual teams
- A bachelor or master's degree in Computer Science or a related
discipline or the equivalent
- Strong verbal and written communication ability including
fluency in English.
- Enjoy potential future travel and are comfortable with regional
travel up to 25%
- A good working knowledge of agile software development
- This position can be located anywhere in the US within the
Eastern time zone.
At Microsoft, we are seeking people who have a passion for the
positive impact technology can have on the communities and for
making a difference in the world. Within CSE, you will find a wide
range of backgrounds, perspectives, and personal and cultural
experiences which are vital to our success with our customers. It's
an informal and flexible work environment and you'll be welcome to
work from home, our offices, customer sites- wherever is best for
you to get your job done.
We invest in your health, wellness, and financial future by
offering a competitive package including a wide range of benefits
built around your personal needs and those close to you.
If you love writing quality code and learning new technologies,
enjoy thinking about challenging engineering problems and, above
all, if you're excited to join a team of others to do the same,
then we'd love to hear from you.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified
applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard
to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender
identity or expression, genetic information, marital status,
medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability,
political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion,
sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other
characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of
your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.
- Learning new technologies and frameworks quickly and applying
- Collaborate with customers' developers to deliver solutions
using a wide range of technologies.
- Giving thoughtful feedback, nurturing an inclusive engineering
environment, championing engineering fundamentals and providing
clarity and mentorship for team members to grow.
- Write clean and thorough design documents and code that
exemplify quality, simplicity, and maintainability.
- Be a mentor and role model for design reviews, code, and test
- Working hands-on with your team and our customers through
design and implementation, setting examples for good engineering
practices and coding along the way.
- Continuously improving our ability to deliver quality solutions
through evolving our engineering process and technical
- Design and influence design, implementation, and architectural
- Write exemplary code and lead by example.
- In CSE, the Senior software engineering role is 80% hands-on
and rest will be focusing on architecture & design, upskilling,
mentoring the team