Company: Thornton Construction Company
Posted on: April 8, 2021
More than structures, we build relationships The Senior
Estimator is responsible for managing from inception to completion
the preconstruction process for all projects assigned to this role.
This process includes but may not be limited to business
development, client engagement, budget development/submission,
detailed and comprehensive quantity takeoff, accurate cost
evaluation, subcontractor/supplier bid solicitation,
subcontractor/supplier scope, qualification and cost evaluations,
risk evaluation, and bid submission. The Senior Estimator is also
responsible for management of assigned estimating personnel,
preconstruction technology assessment and development, final
approval of bids and budgets prepared by assigned personnel,
management of subcontractor/supplier relations, and continual
development of preconstruction procedures and processes. Overall
- Do whatever it takes to ensure that Thornton bids and proposals
are competitive and have the greatest chance of winning.
- Participate actively in company business development efforts to
identify and track client and project pursuits.
- Use experience, leadership skills, and knowledge of fundamental
preconstruction processes to actively lead and manage the
Preconstruction Department staff, in word and example.
- Identify and appropriately mitigate risk associated with the
business of preconstruction.
- Actively build subcontractor/supplier database and
relationships to ensure the best pricing.
- Manage the effective standardization, organization,
preparation, and proper distribution/submission of preconstruction
solicitations, qualification submissions, company information, and
other preconstruction-related correspondence associated with
projects assigned to this role, both upstream and downstream, on
behalf of the company.
- Perform and/or manage the project qualification, solicitation,
quantity survey, scheduling, scoping, clarifying, and pricing
effort for assigned preconstruction projects resulting in
well-organized, professional correspondence and reports.
- Prepare properly qualified and clarified conceptual budgets
based on minimal information.
- Ensure the flow of preconstruction information internally and
externally is maintained and documented.
- Communicate and stay abreast of the latest information, both
internally and externally, that affects all aspects of cost used to
prepare preconstruction estimates and correspondence.
- Coordinate business development and qualification
correspondence requirements with Operations and Business
- Maintain and communicate data on construction and material cost
trends affecting preconstruction cost databases.
- Analyze alternative means and methods to determine the most
economic preconstruction alternative.
- Serve as default point of contact and advisor for assigned
potential clients from initial contact to the proper point of
transfer to project management representatives.
- Build effective relationships with customers, design team,
specialty contractors, suppliers, and user groups that reflect and
support company vision, mission, and core values and meets or
exceeds the customer's expectations.
- Actively participate in industry, client and community
relations to enhance company image. Bid Administration
- Review contractual requirements and develop a plan for the
project construction that is utilized as the basis of the cost
- Prepare an in-house budget and GMP.
- Prepare or direct the preparation of material take-off from
project plans and documents.
- Obtain comparative quotations for materials and subcontractor
- Understand the full scope of the project through document
review and asking questions of the design team and owner.
- Prepare value engineering and risk analyses.
- Prepare qualifications and assumptions for the estimates.
- Prepare cost comparisons and reconcile with previous estimates
and outside estimators.
- Lead constructability reviews.
- Manage subcontractor solicitation and selection process.
- Prepare Exhibit B, and/or scope sheets.
- Ensure quality control of department's bids and estimates.
- Submit 100% of bids and budgets by the bid deadline - no
- Coordinate with the client's contract officer on all changes in
scope, and questions or clarifications regarding the work during
the bidding process.
- Maintain updated database of cost information
- Attend pre- and post-bid meetings, with clients and in-house
staff and preconstruction meetings as required.
- Assemble bid-files, including all development information that
was utilized in preparation of the estimates.
- Ensure that all contract issues such as MBE, time constraints,
special construction methods, etc. are addressed prior to
submission of the bid.
- Ensure that all contract bid documents are complete and
accurate prior to submission of the bid to the client.
- Act an observer, when required, for pre bid investigations and
site visits. Project Knowledge
- Review bid requirements thoroughly and ask follow-up questions
on every bid, as needed.
- Has a thorough understanding of the scope for specific trades
- Develop RFI's and clarifications and ensure adequate
- Perform a comprehensive "bid day" analysis and scoping of
specific assigned trades.
- Understand how to fit subcontractors to the size/scope of a
- Create bid lists that fit scope of job, ensuring that we have
the right subs for the project.
- Include value-engineering ideas on every bid.
- Acts as a resource for project management by providing cost
information and developing cost estimates for changes in the work,
during different construction phases. Follow-Up and Closing
- Consistently follow up on submitted bids and budgets with
Architect and/or Construction Manager to close business.
- Know architects, construction managers, property managers,
brokers and can close business. Project Turnover
- Properly turn over bid documents and sub buyout information to
Project Management in a timely manner.
- Review drawings with Project Management team and highlight
areas of concern.
- Review job costs with Project Management team and highlight any
subs/material vendors that still need to be awarded.
- Analyze estimated vs. actual costs upon project completion when
directed by management. Takes input from project managers regarding
labor and equipment hours, construction methods, and makes
adjustments to estimating cost factors as necessary.
- Acts as a resource to project management during the award /
start-up phase to clarify any issues regarding what was considered
in the estimate, including materials and methods of
- Review budget and project profitability status and goals with
supervision and project team as required. Seek input on corrective
measures to continuously improve the identification and accuracy of
cost figures. Subcontractor Management
- Thoroughly check requirements to buy the proper scope.
- Award subs in a timely manner to ensure release of
- Release materials for record only when possible.
- Ensure that subs are aware of (and commit to) the project
- Seek and qualify new subcontractors. Leadership and
- Ensure that the estimating process runs smoothly and
efficiently and client expectations are exceeded throughout the
duration of the project(s).
- Build relationships to understand client, designer and
subcontractor needs and expectations.
- Effectively facilitate collaboration amongst team members.
- Manage Assistant Estimators and Pre-Construction
- Periodically participate in business development activities,
presentations and interviews.
- Lead the Estimating team members on projects.
- Develop and maintain professional relationships and the highest
ethical standards with clients, and other customers.
- Seeks input and feedback from both external and internal
- Communicates issues to customers openly and honestly, while
maintaining company's confidential and proprietary
- Attend meeting with clients as required.
- Able to handle multiple bids per week.
- Train and develop entry-level Estimators and Pre-construction
- Bachelor's Degree, preferably in Civil Engineering,
Construction Management, Architecture or related field or
equivalent experience or training.
- Minimum 10 years of experience in Estimating, or
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Excel and Word.
- Precision and accuracy in calculations and documentation.
- Experience with estimating software. Necessary Attributes
- Candidate must possess Thornton's Core Values: Results Driven,
Proactive, Safety Conscious, People Focused, Customer Oriented, and
- Able to work with speed and efficiency.
- Understanding of the influence of market conditions on
- Must be able to manage multiple tasks and have excellent follow
up skills both internally and externally.
- Work effectively with all colleagues and constituents and
actively participate as a team member.
- Excellent time management and organizational skills.
- Strong sense of urgency and initiative.
- Take ownership of projects/clients managing both up and down.
Thornton Construction advocates "green" building as we stay abreast
of environmentally sound construction practices. Thornton
Constructions and several of our staff members are Accredited
Professionals with Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design
(LEED) certification of the U.S. Green Building Council. Miami-Dade
Headquarters 13290 NW 42 Avenue
Opa-Locka, FL 33054
Palm Beach County Office 2081 Vista Parkway, Suite 302
Keywords: Thornton Construction Company, Miami , Senior Estimator, Professions , Miami, Florida
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!