Company: The University of Miami
Posted on: January 27, 2023
If you are a current Staff, Faculty or Temporary employee at the
University of Miami, please click here to log in to Workday to use
the internal application process. To learn how to apply for a
faculty or staff position using the Career worklet, please review
this tip sheet.
The University of Miami is among the top research universities and
academic medical centers in the nation, and one of the largest
private employers in South Florida.
With more than 16,000 faculty and staff, the University strives for
excellence, and is driven by a powerful mission to transform and
impact the lives of its students, patients, members of the
community, and people across the globe.
The University is committed to fostering a culture of belonging,
where everyone feels valued and has the opportunity to add value.
Through values of Diversity, Integrity, Responsibility, Excellence,
Compassion, Creativity, and Teamwork (DIRECCT) the U community
works together to create an environment driven by purpose,
excellence, community, and service.
The Department of Hussman Institute has an exciting opportunity for
a Full Time Bioinformatics Analyst. The Bioinformatics Analyst
works with research staff to extend capabilities in bioinformatics
and improve understanding of genetic variation in human health and
disease. The Bioinformatics Analyst maintains and performs analysis
with existing pipelines while assisting and benchmarking the
development of novel methods.
- Running and maintaining massively parallel sequencing data
workflows primarily related to Alzheimer disease whole genome
sequencing including raw sequencing data QC, alignment, variant
calling, filtering, and annotation.
- Working with external collaborators including sequencing
centers, analysis groups, and long-term data repositories to
organize data storage, transfer, and processing.
- Coordinate bioinformatics procedures and storage requirements
of internal high throughput genomics data.
- Work within the bioinformatics group to provide support for
various Alzheimer disease research projects by interfacing with the
sequencing cores and project analysts.
- Follow existing standard operating procedures and create
carefully documented scripts to generate analysis reports as
- Generally applying existing pipelines to solve bioinformatics
challenges, which includes troubleshooting, problem-solving,
gathering requirements, analysis of the problem, and designing and
implementing solutions to resolve issues.
- Exploring alternative pipelines and implementation including
cloud computing solutions for whole genome sequencing
- Assisting with IT and Bioinformatics needs for data storage
management including file management and data archiving.
- Participating in weekly Alzheimer and bioinformatics team and
individual meetings to update progress
- Run and maintain existing next generation data analysis
- Assist senior bioinformatics analysts in pipeline and algorithm
development and validation.
- Extract features of interest from data relating to specific
- Contribute to the maintenance of genomic and clinical
- Performs statistical and integrative data analysis on genomics
and clinical data.
- Work along-side other team members and data analysts.
- Follows standard operating procedures, documentation, and
scripts to generate reports.
- Adheres to University and unit-level policies and procedures
and safeguards University assets.
This list of duties and responsibilities is not intended to be
all-inclusive and may be expanded to include other duties or
responsibilities as necessary.
Bachelor's Degree in relevant field required
Minimum 1 year of relevant experience
Knowledge, Skills and Attitudes:
- Skill in collecting, organizing, and analyzing data.
- Ability to recognize, analyze, and solve a variety of
- Ability to exercise sound judgment in making critical
The University of Miami offers competitive salaries and a
comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, tuition
remission and more.
UHealth-University of Miami Health System, South Florida's only
university-based health system, provides leading-edge patient care
powered by the ground breaking research and medical education at
the Miller School of Medicine. As an academic medical center, we
are proud to serve South Florida, Latin America and the Caribbean.
Our physicians represent more than 100 specialties and
sub-specialties, and have more than one million patient encounters
each year. Our tradition of excellence has earned worldwide
recognition for outstanding teaching, research and patient care.
We're the challenge you've been looking for.
Patient safety is a top priority. As a result, during the Influenza
("the flu") season (September through April), the University Of
Miami Miller School Of Medicine requires all employees who provide
ongoing services to patients, work in a location (all Hospitals and
clinics) where patient care is provided, or work in patient care or
clinical care areas, to have an annual influenza vaccination.
Failure to meet this requirement will result in rescinding or
termination of employment.
The University of Miami is an Equal Opportunity Employer -
Females/Minorities/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities
are encouraged to apply. Applicants and employees are protected
from discrimination based on certain categories protected by
Federal law. Click here for additional information.
Keywords: The University of Miami, Miami , Bioinformatics Analyst, Professions , Miami, Florida
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!